Thursday 31 August 2017

More springs

I have now filed down the matching parts so that all tops meet their bottoms.  I could not resist the urge to assemble and install the next set of springs without completing the painting on them.  I felt as if the builder has been left to bridge the gap between blacksmith and machinist.  I have the impression that the leaf springs were made in a hot forge and persuaded to take their shape by a large man with a hammer and anvil.  I think that the assembly tolerances are less than those needed for fitting horseshoes.

3 comments:

  1. 'I could not resist the urge to assemble and install the next set of springs without completing the painting on them"

    Now Alan I must say this is not a way of working that will save time or make the build better in any way, Paints need to be applied and allowed to harden fully before assembly. One paints change the fitting tolerances as well as stopping the corrosion of the metals and the rub against each other while fitting. Rust is not an item that needs any in help arriving by missing the Painting Stage. Please do not be offended by my comment. Its Meat Well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, thank you for your interest and helpful comments. I was not trying to bypass the essential painting task, but just wanted to do a trial fit and see what it was going to look like. To undo just 6 bolts in order to continue doing the job properly did not seem too much. I am concentrating on the rear wheels at the moment, after which I shall return to the painting. Best Regards, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After some time giving priority to family, including a long lost cousin; I am returning to the Lycamobile, and now have some more parts painted.

    ReplyDelete