Friday 25 August 2017

First spring

One spring completed, and installed back left, two more in progress.  The lower main component, with bearing inserts, proved to be a bit larger than the space available in the upper component, so some fettling was needed.  The end of the spring, where it bends round the bearing insert, was decidedly concave - until I attacked it with file and mini-grindstone.  Even then, the insert was held at a slight angle - the hole in the mounting disc on the upper component was enlarged slightly (0.5 mm) and is now oval; the pin now goes all the way through.  The other end was much easier.  The lengths of each were slightly different, but were persuaded to match up by using a G-clamp; they are springy of course.  I compressed the set of leaf springs with a G-clamp, rather than rotating the set of 4 leaves as shown in the STW video, I was not keen to spoil the paintwork.  It seems to me that the springs will be quite firm.
I have been thinking about "bolt-ons" while the paint was drying on the leaf springs, and have updated my "Bells and Whistles" page.  I have decided to buy a small trailer, before the effects of Brexit make it more expensive.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, your flattering comments are accepted. As your post is of little relevance to the subject of building the Lykamobile, I have removed it; but I note your support for a company who make bespoke spring solutions.

      Delete